New Mexico News Plus
August 14, 2015
New Mexico green chile growers want new guest worker program – Santa Fe New Mexican
Ed Ogaz and his family have farmed for decades in New Mexico’s famed Hatch Valley — an area known internationally for its green chiles. But in recent years, Ogaz has watched helplessly as the spicy staple has seen a decline because of drought, increased competition and a lack of chile pickers.
Ogaz and other New Mexico growers say a new guest worker program is needed to provide temporary immigrant laborers in order for farmers to survive the decline.
“I think we need a new Bracero program. I honestly do,” Ogaz said, referring to the temporary guest worker program that allowed millions of Mexican immigrants to toil on U.S. farms from 1942-64. “We just don’t have a lot of young people getting into the business, and it’s hard to find workers.”
New Mexico Chile Commission chairman Rick Ledbetter said the federal government’s limited guest worker program doesn’t provide enough labor to do the hand-picking required to avoid bruising green chiles.
“I don’t even grow green chile commercially. I can’t,” said Ledbetter, who operates a farm in Portales.
Last year, New Mexico saw a 10 percent decline in acres of red and green chiles harvested. That decline marked a 43-year low in the state, according to federal numbers.
Despite marketing efforts and the desirability of New Mexico chiles to national suppliers, federal numbers show the value of New Mexico red and green chiles was estimated at $38.7 million in 2014, compared with $49.5 million in 2013. – 8/14/2015
For More Information on New Mexico Chile Pepper production, recipes and statistics:
August 11, 2015
Federal officials say more than 3 million gallons of water tainted with lead, arsenic and other heavy metals contaminated the rivers following last week's spill.
Under the governor's order, $750,000 in state funds will be available for well testing, long-term studies and other efforts.
The amount is in addition to $500,000 in emergency funds the New Mexico Environment Department requested and received Friday. -- 8/11/2015
Google to pay $1M as Titan leaves NM -- Albuquerque Journal
Google Inc. will repay the state nearly $1 million in economic assistance funds – the full amount the computer giant owes after pulling subsidiary Titan Aerospace out of Moriarty, New Mexico Economic Development Secretary Jon Barela said Monday. -- 8/11/2015
August 6, 2015
The Obama Administration released details this week on the Clean Power Plan which calls for power plants across the country to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
New Mexico is set up to comply with the new regulations, state Environment Department Secretary Ryan Flynn told the Associated Press this week, because of an existing plan to shut down two coal-burning units at a power plant in the northwestern corner of the state.
But that Public Service Company of New Mexico plan for the San Juan Generating Station has not been approved by state regulators. -- 8/6/2015
State to seek clawbacks with Google -- Albuquerque Journal
New Mexico will impose clawback provisions to recover as much of the state’s investment as possible in Titan Aerospace , a subsidiary of Google Inc. that has been developing a solar-powered drone for the Internet search giant at the Moriarty Municipal Airport.
Google announced on Tuesday that it would pull Titan out of New Mexico, possibly relocating operations near Google headquarters in California’s Bay Area. But the company gave no explanation for its decision, and state officials are now exploring how much money can be retrieved from the economic development assistance it provided to Google to establish operations in Moriarty.
State investment included nearly $1 million for infrastructure improvements at the Moriarty airport to pave the way for Google to build new facilities there, plus about $141,000 in Job Training Incentive Program funds granted to Titan in 2013.
“Google has said it intends to shut down, although the time frame is in flux,” said New Mexico Economic Development Department Secretary Jon Barela. “Google’s decision is a disappointment, and the state intends to work with the company in having clawback provisions enforced. We expect that a very sizeable portion of the state funds will be paid back to the taxpayers of New Mexico.”
The state will also work with any Google employees laid off in Moriarty to find new job opportunities that match their skill sets, Barela said. About 45 people are currently employed at Titan, and it’s not clear how many of them would relocate to the Bay Area. -- 8/6/2015
Hiroshima Commemorates 70th Anniversary of Atomic Bombing -- The New York Times
Every year on Aug. 6, Hiroshima becomes a city of mourning. And one full of reminders — some delivered politely, some pointedly — of the most extreme dangers of modern warfare.
Seventy years ago, the city was incinerated by an atomic bomb, its population halved by the new and terrifying American weapon nicknamed Little Boy.
On Thursday, political leaders, aging survivors and ordinary citizens gathered at 8:15 a.m. to mourn the moment when the city unwillingly became part of the world’s introduction to the nuclear age. The bomb dropped on Hiroshima, together with another that hit Nagasaki three days later, killed more than 200,000 people, most of them civilians. -- 8/6/2015
August 7, 2014
A mine waste spill inadvertently caused by environmental cleanup work spewed about a million gallons of orange-colored discharge into a tributary of the Animas River on Wednesday.
New Mexico towns such as Farmington and Aztec are taking precautionary measures to protect their water supplies as the contamination makes its way downstream.
The Bureau of Reclamation said they will begin at 7:00 a.m. releasing water from the Navajo Dam to dilute the water and sediment that will be entering the San Juan River from the Animas River.
Although the area has not been shut done, officials discourage people from getting in the water until the slug of sediment and discoloration passes the Farmington area.
According to a spokesman for Governor Martinez, Chris Sanchez, the spill occurred Wednesday morning, but the state of New Mexico was not notified until the following day. The news was provided by an official from the Southern Ute Tribe, not by the Environmental Protection Agency. -- 8/7/2015
August 5, 2015
NM offers amnesty for unpaid child support scofflaws– Las Cruces Sun News
Gov. Susana Martinez's administration again is offering temporary amnesty for parents facing possible arrest for unpaid child support. The governor's office announced this week an enforcement crackdown will start at the end of the month targeting those who don't take advantage of the program.
State officials say individuals can visit a state Child Support Enforcement Division office without fear of arrest and pay a bond to cancel outstanding bench warrants for not paying child support. -- 8/5/15
The planned March 2016 reopening of an underground nuclear waste dump in New Mexico has been pushed back indefinitely because of unanticipated challenges, U.S. officials said.
A radiation leak at the U.S. government's Waste Isolation Pilot Plant that originated in a disposal chamber half a mile (1 km) below ground at the center near Carlsbad, New Mexico, exposed more than 20 workers to small amounts of radiation in February 2014, officials have said.
The accident led to the suspension of key operations at the site, the Energy Department's only permanent underground repository for certain types of radiological waste tied to U.S. nuclear labs and weapons sites.
Dana Bryson, acting manager for the Department of Energy's Carlsbad Field Office, said in a statement on Friday: "We are disappointed that we will not meet the original target date for beginning waste emplacement."
He did not provide a date for reopening the facility.
"While the WIPP recovery program continues to make significant progress, the original target date of March 2016 for resuming waste emplacement operations is no longer viable due to a variety of unanticipated issues," said a news release from the U.S. Department of Energy that contained Bryson's statement. – 8/1/2015