Services for Libraries
Repealed State Grants-in-Aid to Public Libraries
A formal public hearing was held on March 17, 2009 to receive public comment regarding the repeal and replacement of a rule that governs the distribution of state grants-in-aid funds to public libraries (4.5.2 NMAC.).
Purpose of State Grants-in-Aid Program
The purpose of the library grants program is to provide financial assistance that encourages and supports public library service by public libraries and developing public libraries. The library grants program is intended to supplement and encourage local effort in providing local library service. The library grants program consists of seven types of grants that, taken as a whole, fund the acquisition of library materials, library staff training, library equipment, and equipment and operational expenses associated with delivery of services. This library grants program funds both local public libraries and developing public libraries, depending on the type of grants. State Grants are governed by the New Mexico Administrative Code 4.5.2
2008/2009 State Grants-in-Aid to Public Libraries
Distribution of Funds
Money from the library grants program will be distributed in the following order from 1 to 7.
- Basic Collections Grants
- Library Development Grants
- Matching Collections Grants
- Library Branch Grants
- Staff Continuing Education Grants
- Cooperative and Outreach Grants
- Per Capita Grants
Limitations on Funds
- The amount received and distributed may vary each year depending on the allocation of the state legislature. The State Library expects to distribute funds as provided in section 126.96.36.199. Notwithstanding language elsewhere in this rule, the state library may, in its sole discretion, alter the distribution priorities and amounts of the grants described in this rule if the state legislature allocates less than the state library request for the library grants program.
- Only local public libraries are eligible to receive Basic Collections Grants; Matching Collections Grants; Library Branch Grants; Staff Continuing Education Grants; Cooperative and Outreach Grants; and Per Capita Grants. Only developing public libraries are eligible to receive Library Development Grants.
- Funds shall be expended in the fiscal year in which they are awarded.
Grants to Local Public Libraries
- Basic Collections Grant
- Matching Collections Grant
- Library Branch Grant
- Staff Continuing Education Grant
- Per Capita Grant
- Cooperative Outreach Grant
Grants to Developing Public Libraries
Other State Aid Information